Saturday, February 14, 2009

Day 1 - We Escape

So, we got on the road today around 1pm. Yup... today is Valentine's Day and I'm heading off to the mountains for a week with the two older kids and leaving Laura at home with our youngest. I'm such a romantic. [Actually, we celebrated last night.]

The weather was perfect for our drive. No rain to speak of. We didn't hit any traffic until Applegate. If I'd bothered to think about it, I probably could found a way to bypass the worst of the backup where CalTrans put the traffic control in and knocked it down to one lane. But, by the time I understood what was happening, it was too late. We only burned about a half hour there so it wasn't too bad. They also stopped all the trucks, so we didn't have to share I-80 with them . There were lots of others driving up today, and in places we bunched up, but for the most part it was a smooth drive. We made the whole trip in 5 hours, which is better than I thought it might have turned out.

At 6pm, we rolled into the parking lot by the condo. It's a Ski Trail condo at Northstar. It's not actually ON a ski trail, but it's only about a 500 ft walk to where there is one. I'm definitely planning to not have to drive much this week. The place is small.... one bedroom and a couch.
The kids have opted to sleep in the living room on the couch and floor. No argument from me.
They don't seem to mind, they're just keyed up for a week of skiing in awesome conditions
From 2009-Presidents-Week-Ski-Trip


It's going to be fun.

1 comment: